As part of my adventures into ethical food I experiment by cooking all dishes without using any animal products so I can offer alternative recipes for people trying to cut down, vegetarians and vegans.
I’ve been looking for cake recipes that don’t use butter or eggs. It is easy to make deserts without butter, but sponge cake didn’t prove so easy until I found this recipe. I enjoy a bit of baking and I love eating cake so I wasn’t going to compromise, but now I’ve tried it I can honestly say it is top of my list of cake recipes. The best news is that it is also low fat!
- 200 grams plain flour, sifted
- 200 grams granulated sugar (reduce sugar to taste, I used 100 grams)
- 75 grams pure cocoa or cacao powder, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 450 ml non dairy milk – (I used Oatly oat milk, other milk alternatives will work).
- 2½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- I like to add fruit to cake, for this recipe soft fruit works well, e.g. 200 grams of raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries etc. Use either fresh or frozen. If frozen defrost first and drain off excessive liquid.
- everyone loves chocolate chunks, reduce sugar by the amount of chocolate you add. If cooking as a vegan recipe check the chocolate doesn’t contain milk.
- Chopped nuts, give added texture and interest. Use a nut that complements other ingredients used.
- the recipe is suitable for vegans, but you can add eggs. Use two eggs to replace 100ml of milk.
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (320 degrees F).
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients, milk, vegetable oil, (eggs if using) and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- (Optional – Add nuts or/and chocolate chunks if using).
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 22 cm (8 inch) cake tin.
- (Optional – after cooking for 10 mins, add the fruit to the top of the batter, gently push in, this will help it from sinking to the bottom)
Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool the moist chocolate cake on a wire rack.
- Eat, enjoy, yum!
Recipe adapted from the original recipe found at: https://aseasyasapplepie.com