Warning Ramen is addictive! Fortunately it is easy to make and healthy.
The majority of the recipes I post are veg dishes. We all know how to cook with meat and fish but most people don’t know how to cook without them. The idea is easy dishes to make, that serve as a good way to cut down on meat intake, to try dishes without feeling any compromise of flavour or texture. Ramen is perfect for this 🙂 Ramen has a deep rooted history in Japanese cuisine, with each region having it’s own take on the dish. The beauty of it is, start the basic broth, then add whatever you want. You can make this veg version or add meat or fish if you want, there are no set rules.
Basic ingredients list, serves 2:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (or alternative)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 1 litre vegetable stock (I use Marigold vegan Swiss boullion)
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms (I use dried mushrooms, soaked to rehydrate)
- 2 free range eggs
- 100g green veg finely chopped (baby spinach, swiss chard, kale, sprouting broccoli etc)
- 100g packs dried ramen noodles (rice or soba noodles)
- Handful chopped spring green onions (optional)
- 1 large carrot, finely sliced with potato peeler, then chopped.
Method, approx 15 mins to make:
- Heat the sesame oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook for a couple minutes until soft and fragrant. Stir in the soy sauce and mirin and cook for another minute. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs and cook for 8 minutes for a soft yolk. Remove eggs from the pot and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. After a few minutes, peel the shells off carefully and slice the eggs in half, lengthwise. Set aside.
- In another pot heat a splash of apple juice or water, add the green veg, cover and cook for several minutes, until just wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Add ramen noodles to stock mixture and cook 2-3 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Divide the soup into 2 large bowls.
- Decorate the top with egg, veg, carrots and green onions, don’t stir the fun is picking it as you eat, serve and enjoy.